You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD Disconnects Repeatedly Mac Mini 2018 (Ventura)

I have Ventura 13.1 on my 3.6GHz i3, 8GB RAM 121.02GB 2018 Mac Mini. My external SSD is a Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB. Well the first issue is that Apple Store in Columbia MD sold me a 2018 model when it was supposed to be the 2020 M1. I realised this when I started checking out YouTube reviews months later. Second, my SSD drive keeps disconnecting repeatedly. I have checked all the ports and keep having the same issue. I don't get this issue with any of my other Macs. I cannot use this thing without the extra space. My applications alone are more than the internal storage.

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 5:15 AM

6 replies

Feb 22, 2023 7:47 AM in response to ish162

How is the Samsung 870 EVO formatted?

What enclosure or drive dock is the Samsung 870 EVO in?

How many bus powered USB devices are plugged into the 2018 Mac mini?

I have heard that some Samsung SSDs do not play well with Mac's.

There also could something going on with the enclosure or it's USB cable.

Try rearranging the USB devices and/or use a USB-C to USB-A adapter for that drive.

FWIW I have 2 Crucial and 4 PNY SSDs in different Sabrent enclosures and they all work fine with my 2012, 2018 and 2020 Mac mini's.

Feb 22, 2023 9:43 AM in response to den.thed

How is the Samsung 870 EVO formatted?

APFS

What enclosure or drive dock is the Samsung 870 EVO in?

AGPTEK USB-C Docking Station for Mac Mini

How many bus powered USB devices are plugged into the 2018 Mac mini?

Mac mini is connected to 3 screens, the SSD drive, my Elgato Stream Deck, and my Logitech peripherals.

External SSD Disconnects Repeatedly Mac Mini 2018 (Ventura)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.