You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this screen format?? Make it stop!

My IPad Pro started showing this screen when I open a new app.

The new app opens in this new format, not full screen, and I either have to use the 3 dots at the top or the little logo in the bottom right corner of the new app to make it full screen.

You cannot swipe the open app ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ but tapping one of the small ones on the left will switch to it but it will still not be full screen.

To get out of this screen completely I have to swipe up from bottom to get the app changer before I can do anything else.

Is this new or something I’ve turned on by mistake and is there a way to turn this off?

It is very, very, very annoying.

I just want an app to open full screen when I push it… not get the choices of the apps I have open.

I do have the latest update… I assume this is something someone thought was brilliant but is just aggravating.

I await all your knowledgeable advice.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 3:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 3:26 PM

You have enabled the new Stage Manager feature. This can be simply disabled from iPad settings - restoring the regular multitasking mode.

Settings > Home Screen & Multitasking > Stage Manager > Use Stage Manager on iPad - set to OFF

More information about Stage Manager can be found within the [often overlooked] iPad User Guide. Here is a direct link to the relevant section of the Guide:

Move, resize, and organize windows with Stage Manager on iPad - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2023 3:26 PM in response to Boy_inthe_city

You have enabled the new Stage Manager feature. This can be simply disabled from iPad settings - restoring the regular multitasking mode.

Settings > Home Screen & Multitasking > Stage Manager > Use Stage Manager on iPad - set to OFF

More information about Stage Manager can be found within the [often overlooked] iPad User Guide. Here is a direct link to the relevant section of the Guide:

Move, resize, and organize windows with Stage Manager on iPad - Apple Support

What is this screen format?? Make it stop!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.