You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive

Hello, all! Not super tech savvy and wanted to see about suggestions for an external hard drive. I have a Lacie 1T that's actually be great...but it's totally full and I need something ASAP. We ordered a Passport (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RX3TWJZ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 ) but I saw some folks have issues with MACs. I only need it as a local, but it also says support is going away (I'm not 100% clear if that's *only* for Cloud services. I don't want to keep something I can't get tech support for.)

The Lacie was a literal plug-in-and-it-works-with-TimeMachine. So I'm wondering if a larger size in the Lacie is a better choice.

I'd love feedback if any of you found something easy (requires little or no formatting - my Lacie did not) and reliable. Layman's terms would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 7:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 12:58 PM

The Lacie has worked great for me it's just totally full!

I like LaCie products, especially since they're sold at the Apple Store.

A large LaCie Mobile Drive Secure USB-C with Rescue - Apple or LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive - Apple would serve you well.

Jack

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 7, 2023 9:44 AM in response to rkaufmann87

on OWC external SSDs. Since they have such a variety of drives I suggest you contact OWC's customer support and get their recommendation for the SSD model that would best suit your iMac model, work requirements and budget. 

I recommend drives from OWC (MacSales.com) as they have proven reliability, excellent customer support and warranties.  I have 9 OWC SSDs in a variety of enclosures and am just a very satisfied customer.

External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.