You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple offer card storage expansion for iPad?

does iPad Pro take external storage?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 11:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 7:46 AM

No, unless you want to buy an adapter that plugs into the iPad, and it has a card reader and a charger port.

Links below:

USB-C to SD Card Reader ($39, this does not have a charger)

Satechi Aluminum USB-C Multi-Port Pro Adapter (I think this is what you are really looking for, it has two SD Card Readers, a charger, and a USB 2.0 adapter, but it is $65)

I am sure there are others out there, I did not do a thorough search. Hope this helps!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 31, 2023 7:46 AM in response to mabartem

No, unless you want to buy an adapter that plugs into the iPad, and it has a card reader and a charger port.

Links below:

USB-C to SD Card Reader ($39, this does not have a charger)

Satechi Aluminum USB-C Multi-Port Pro Adapter (I think this is what you are really looking for, it has two SD Card Readers, a charger, and a USB 2.0 adapter, but it is $65)

I am sure there are others out there, I did not do a thorough search. Hope this helps!

Jan 31, 2023 7:55 AM in response to mabartem

It is impossible to increase the amount of RAM or internal storage in your iPad - as this is fixed during manufacture; what you have is fixed for the life of your device.  You can, however, subscribe to a higher tier of iCloud storage - but this is not a substitute for internal storage.

Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

External storage can be utilised by using an appropriate USB Adapter or Hub.

If your iPad Pro has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your Power Adapter, to both the iPad and connected device. The Power Adapter must be rated at 12W or more. 

As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required. For HDD or SSD, an external power source is almost certainly required.

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

If you have one of the newer iPad and iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub.

The external storage device will obviously require an appropriate USB3 cable to connect to the USB port of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, or USB hub if used.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

Does Apple offer card storage expansion for iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.