You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erased hd now el capitan won't finish downloading

Decided to wipe HD and reinstall el capitan which was on my old iMac. After erasing the HD, I tried to install software. It shows it downloading, timer gets to 0, blinks then goes back to over an hour, times down to 0 then blinks and goes back to 1 hr and 7 minutes. At this point the timer no longer counts down. The log shows NUMEROUS errors. I have tried cleaning PRAM, no help. I've tried to do the install using both option-cmmd-r and just cmmd-r, neither worked. I've tried searching for ways to fix this but none have worked so far. I have a disk drive on it and an old snow leopard install disk but can't get it to boot from it. My old mac is an 8.1 @ 2.66gHz with 4096 mb ram. Any help with this is appreciated.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 5:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 7:47 AM

Can you have a friend or someone with a compatible make a USB stick to bot from?

El Capitan 10.11

Yosemite 10.10

Mountain Lion 10.8

Lion 10.7

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

erased hd now el capitan won't finish downloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.