You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

200GB of System Data after using Migration Assistant between Macs

Hi. I just got a MBP 14" (OS Ventura) and used Migration Assistant to move everything over from the MBP 2016 (OS Monterey). After it was done, I got a message on new MBP that I was running out of disk space. There are 180GB of system data. The other computer, also with 512GB of SSD I have 200GB free.

Besides, a lot of items are not matching. Just 51GB of documents in new v. 135GB in old. How do I know what's missing?

iCloud drive doesn't match either.

Photos only 15GB, my guess is because Mac sees storage is almost full and replaced almost all photos/videos with lower quality.

New Mac

Old MBP

Any suggestions?

Thank you

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 10:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 5:40 PM

Hi Gena, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this suggestions don't help with my issue.

• My 2016 MBP is already with the latest supported Mac OS which is Monterey and the new MBP has Ventura. They are both up to date, but there isn't a way to have them at same OS.
  • I am familiar with freeing up space, but it's not the case here. The new Mac should have almost the same storage space used as the old one. The problem is there is 200GB in System Data that shouldn't exist. Can't optimize storage anymore. Photos is already with option Optimize Mac Storage.
  • There was no error during migration.

I need more help. Thank you.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2023 5:40 PM in response to Gena_D

Hi Gena, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this suggestions don't help with my issue.

• My 2016 MBP is already with the latest supported Mac OS which is Monterey and the new MBP has Ventura. They are both up to date, but there isn't a way to have them at same OS.
  • I am familiar with freeing up space, but it's not the case here. The new Mac should have almost the same storage space used as the old one. The problem is there is 200GB in System Data that shouldn't exist. Can't optimize storage anymore. Photos is already with option Optimize Mac Storage.
  • There was no error during migration.

I need more help. Thank you.

Jan 17, 2023 5:16 PM in response to skoooooba

Hello skoooooba,

First off, we'd like to provide this support article for Migration Assistant as it contains a lot of helpful information here: Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support.

The first step to take to make sure this process is smooth is to update the macOS version on both your old and new Mac: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support.

In addition, these two articles may help with this behavior:

If the issue persists, further assistance may be needed. We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with your device, so we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Apple Support.

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities and have a wonderful day.

200GB of System Data after using Migration Assistant between Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.