You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any advice on how to optimize cellular data abroad?

I am traveling in Chile, where not much 5G coverage is available. Unfortunately, my iPhone 13 Pro often refuses all data connections that ARE available, even when I am connected to a local carrier (Movistar) with 4 bars. I can make phone calls, and I have a monthly data plan that has worked in the past. There are several settings within "Cellular Data" - e.g., select carrier automatically or pick one, set 5G or LTE, etc. - when I play around with these long enough, suddenly I DO get a burst of data connection - but it never lasts (even if I stay in the same spot). Is there some trick to convince the iPhone to use a slower but workable internet connection? Even simple text messages and emails sometime start transmitting, but then fail.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 12:09 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 7, 2023 1:28 PM in response to Sebastian Kuhn

After contacting customer support of my carrier (Verizon), I tried again all suggestions by the relevant Apple Help pages (also suggested by them), including resetting the network settings, restarting the phone etc. None of this solved the problem permanently, but I found that everytime I switch "Airplane mode" on for a few seconds and then off again, the local Chilean carrier (Moviestar) pops back up with first the letters "3G" next to the 4 bars, and a short while later, "LTE". At that point, cellular internet DOES work - for while, but sooner or later (especially after inactivity but also sometimes while actively using the internet) the letters disappear, the 4 bars remain and cellular data are no longer working. Looks like a bug to me, not sure whose - Apple's, Verizon's or Movistar's.

Jan 24, 2023 11:19 AM in response to Cra6

I'm sorry to say I didn't find a good solution while in Chile (I've since returned to the U.S. where cellular data works on my iPhone without problem). As you can tell, this problem has been experienced by quite a few people. I believe it is a combination between Apple's software/hardware and our specific carrier, Verizon, which seems to only allow Movistar as the local roaming partner (I tried other networks manually and didn't get any bars at all). My friend, who traveled with me in Chile, had no problem with his iPhone - but his carrier is TMobile, which is a more international company right off the start.

In the long term, I will probably switch carriers, as I travel often enough to consider this problem (and Verizon's rather expensive foreign roaming plans) a deal breaker. For now, I recommend to your wife to use the tired trick of turning airplane mode on and back off - it usually helps for a few minutes to a few hours to access the internet via cellular connection.

Any advice on how to optimize cellular data abroad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.