You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Time Machine backups b/c "sparsebundle not accessible"

My Time Machine backups worked absolutely flawless (using a WD MyCloud with LAN connection to the iMac) with hourly updates until two days ago where I got the following message:

"Time Machine could not complete the backup to "TimeMachineBackup". The image of the backup volume "iMac2.sparsebundle" could not be accessed (error 19)."

What does that mean, what is error 19? Why is it not accessible? And most important: What can I do now to get access again?!

Big Thanks for any helpful advice!!

iMac 27″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 9:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 9:46 AM

It is possible the External Hard Disk that you use for Time Machine has failed. If the drive is over 4 years old it would be wise to replace the drive as ALL External Hard Disks eventually fail. I had 2 fail in 2022!

1. If you want to try and save the External Hard Disk try restarting in Safe Mode with all external peripherals (including the Time Machine drive) disconnected. Then restart normally and attempt to re-add each peripheral by plugging them in.
  2. Also, if the External Hard Disk is connected to a USB hub or other external device, plug it directly into the iMac's ports.
  3. Attempt to use different cables, cables can and do fail.
5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 3, 2023 9:46 AM in response to MacBirgit

It is possible the External Hard Disk that you use for Time Machine has failed. If the drive is over 4 years old it would be wise to replace the drive as ALL External Hard Disks eventually fail. I had 2 fail in 2022!

1. If you want to try and save the External Hard Disk try restarting in Safe Mode with all external peripherals (including the Time Machine drive) disconnected. Then restart normally and attempt to re-add each peripheral by plugging them in.
  2. Also, if the External Hard Disk is connected to a USB hub or other external device, plug it directly into the iMac's ports.
  3. Attempt to use different cables, cables can and do fail.

Jan 3, 2023 10:12 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Ahhh, thank you very much! That is truly helpful.

So I had a pretty good gut feeling, because I bought a new additional SSD external drive at the end of last year and connected it directly to the iMac's USB port, "just in case". This one works fine and I disconnect it after each daily backup so it can not be compromised by any "outside" intrusion. Something tells me that the possibility for a tech virus for our devices like Corona was for us humans is pretty high and not too far fetched, so I disconnect my backup devices now regularly.

Jan 3, 2023 11:51 AM in response to MacBirgit

And your answer even does help a lot, because this WD Drive failed several times over the last years and I was always able to make it work again, but I also knew it would/might completely fail one day. Even WD stopped updating this old device last year. But heck, I thought, well, it is still working, it has 4 TB of storage, so I will use it "just" as a backup device. So it was mumbling away every day, making sounds like "doing something" but I realized it stopped working two days ago and the iMac gave me this error response.

So thank you again for somehow confirming a lingering problem to me.

Jan 3, 2023 12:57 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hahaha, oh yeah, you are so right 😂🙈 but I had so much hassle with EHD‘s … I have at least 4 of them who quit working after a very (!) short period of time. It was devastating. Only the WD MyCloud was working really well over the years - and I tried a lot of others before, like WD Passport for Mac etc. They all failed way too early. So now I chose SSD and hope it will work a bit longer 😅👍🏼

No Time Machine backups b/c "sparsebundle not accessible"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.