You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't Mail automatically recognize hyperlink text as hyperlinks?

When composing emails, how do I make pasted links in Mail automatically links and not text? It seems like every time I have to tell it that the text I just pasted starting with "https" is actually a link, like it's the first time anyone's ever told it that, and go into "Link" and repaste the exact same characters in there that I just pasted into the body of the email.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 7:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 7:06 AM

In Apple Mail, create a new Mail message and click once in empty Mail body. Then visit Mail > Edit > Substitutions, and select Smart Links. Back in your new Mail message, type any text URL and with a trailing space, that text will automatically become a hyperlink — as long as you are using Rich Text email.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2023 7:06 AM in response to XP45

In Apple Mail, create a new Mail message and click once in empty Mail body. Then visit Mail > Edit > Substitutions, and select Smart Links. Back in your new Mail message, type any text URL and with a trailing space, that text will automatically become a hyperlink — as long as you are using Rich Text email.

Jan 3, 2023 8:33 AM in response to XP45

Well it did some something.

It did not cause any issues to the Problematic Computer

You are welcome for the Free Suggestions

Then have a few more free suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this ongoing issue 

3 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Jan 3, 2023 8:07 AM in response to XP45

Can not duplicate this issue.

Just the Test this issue using Apple Mail - I reconfigure the Preferences >> Compose to " Plain Text " and again to

" Rich Text " .

In both cases the Link to your very question came out as per image below

A Functional Hyper-Link ( Url )

refer to 3 images below

Why can't Mail automatically recognize hyperlink text as hyperlinks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.