You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought a used Apple Watch and it has activation lock

So I bought an Apple Watch and it has an activation locked the owner gave me the iCloud and password and it says the account is security locked what do I do now

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 8:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 9:24 AM

Click on this link to read "About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch" --> About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Your resolution possibilities are to either get the account working again or ask Apple to reset the Watch (this will require you have convincing proof of ownership such as the original receipt of purchase from Apple)

For the first, you're operating under layers of security that Apple has around devices and then the accounts required to unlock devices. From what you say you are at this stage:

If a message says your Apple ID is locked or disabled "for security reasons"", the document If your Apple ID is locked or disabled - Apple Support directs you to reset your password as outlined in this article --> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

That then involves a messy process since you probably don't have access to the account's trusted devices.

If you use two-factor authentication and can’t sign in or reset your password, you can regain access after an account recovery waiting period, as outlined in this document: How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Instead of doing all that (which may be difficult at best), if you were give the original receipt, Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by an Apple Authorized dealer and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Personally I would see if you can return the Watch since this is sounding like a lot of hassle to me.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 30, 2022 9:24 AM in response to lando128

Click on this link to read "About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch" --> About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Your resolution possibilities are to either get the account working again or ask Apple to reset the Watch (this will require you have convincing proof of ownership such as the original receipt of purchase from Apple)

For the first, you're operating under layers of security that Apple has around devices and then the accounts required to unlock devices. From what you say you are at this stage:

If a message says your Apple ID is locked or disabled "for security reasons"", the document If your Apple ID is locked or disabled - Apple Support directs you to reset your password as outlined in this article --> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

That then involves a messy process since you probably don't have access to the account's trusted devices.

If you use two-factor authentication and can’t sign in or reset your password, you can regain access after an account recovery waiting period, as outlined in this document: How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Instead of doing all that (which may be difficult at best), if you were give the original receipt, Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by an Apple Authorized dealer and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Personally I would see if you can return the Watch since this is sounding like a lot of hassle to me.

Bought a used Apple Watch and it has activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.