You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Advanced Data Protection Not Available” message

I upgraded to iPadOS 16.2 and was trying to set up Advanced Data Protection, looking into Account Recovery, etc. At some point around this time (after the upgrade) I did an iCloud Backup. When I eventually selected Turn on Advanced Data Protection I received the error message below.

I had set up a Recovery Contact before upgrading. Perhaps also relevant: I don’t use a passcode. I’m hoping that someone with ADP knowledge can explain this error message.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 8:48 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 16, 2022 10:36 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for the information. I did search the community and Google for this issue but struck out. I guess I gave up too soon.

Indeed, my iPad is a new device, only a few weeks old. My iPhone was still running 16.1.1 when I tried to enable ADP on the iPad. I have just updated the iPhone to 16.2 after reading your response and tried to enable ADP there but get the same Feb 23 warning message. That leads me to believe that trying to enable it on the new iPad has put me into the delay before being able activate it, regardless of what’s done on the iPhone.

What I don’t quite understand is what it was that I did to “reset (my) end-to-end encrypted data in iCloud”. I’m quite certain I never got the warning “Are you sure you want to reset your end-to-end encrypted data in iCloud?” or something similar because I don’t really know what it means.

Dec 16, 2022 9:11 AM in response to GeezerFella

The the new Advanced Data Protection feature has some caveats.

First and perhaps most relevant to your issue - ADP cannot be enabled immediately from a recently activated Apple device; as illustrated in your screenshot, there is a waiting period before this enhanced protection can be activated. However, it is understood that you should be able to immediately enable ADP for your AppleID account from a existing compatible device already associated with your AppleID account.

ADP can only be activated for an AppleID account if all devices that are signed in to iCloud with the same AppleID have been updated to meet minimum requirements (for iPhone and iPad, this being iOS/iPadOS 16.2). If any devices do not meet minimum requirements, you cannot activate ADP for the account.

ADP is currently only available in the US - with more regions/countries being added during 2023. Apple’s regional server infrastructure must themselves be updated - in addition to which some countries will not permit end-to-end encryption.

Some additional information about Apple’s Advanced Data Protection can be found here:

How to turn on Advanced Data Protection for iCloud - Apple Support

Also:

https://apple.news/A9dTzeL5sTLaRwYnKWcc-SQ

“Advanced Data Protection Not Available” message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.