You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not responding on startup on MacBook M1 Air Ventura

I have an issue where finder will not open or is shown as not accessible during the start up of my M1 MacBook Air w Ventura. I go through the relaunch multiple times but still run into this problem. It seems to hang with the external drives.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 6:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 8:23 PM

Then disconnect the external drive (or even other external devices) to confirm macOS is fine, but the issue is due to an external device. Then try each device one at a time to see which one causes a problem. Sometimes a problem may only occur when a particular combination of devices are connected.

Once you determine the device which is causing the problem, then you can look further at it to try to determine the cause of the problem. I do know that some older devices may not be compatible with an M1/M2 Mac with Apple Silicon.....I have personally experienced this and have seen numerous reports on these forums.

Also, sometimes a particular third party device, or software driver will cause problems with other connected devices (especially with macOS 12.x Monterey, and I believe 13.x Ventura as well). One such driver & device are the Wacom tablets which can prevent some external drives from working properly. Usually if the Wacom tablet is disconnected when the external drive is connected, then the drive will work. Connecting the Wacom tablet after the drive is mounted usually seems to allow both the external drive and the Wacom tablet to work thereafter (at least from what other users have reported on these forums). Perhaps other drivers & hardware may have a similar issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 8, 2022 8:23 PM in response to ddunbar3

Then disconnect the external drive (or even other external devices) to confirm macOS is fine, but the issue is due to an external device. Then try each device one at a time to see which one causes a problem. Sometimes a problem may only occur when a particular combination of devices are connected.

Once you determine the device which is causing the problem, then you can look further at it to try to determine the cause of the problem. I do know that some older devices may not be compatible with an M1/M2 Mac with Apple Silicon.....I have personally experienced this and have seen numerous reports on these forums.

Also, sometimes a particular third party device, or software driver will cause problems with other connected devices (especially with macOS 12.x Monterey, and I believe 13.x Ventura as well). One such driver & device are the Wacom tablets which can prevent some external drives from working properly. Usually if the Wacom tablet is disconnected when the external drive is connected, then the drive will work. Connecting the Wacom tablet after the drive is mounted usually seems to allow both the external drive and the Wacom tablet to work thereafter (at least from what other users have reported on these forums). Perhaps other drivers & hardware may have a similar issue.

Finder not responding on startup on MacBook M1 Air Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.