You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loading Remote Images in Ventura

OK, is that it? Is there no longer any way to enable remote content to load? This is an annoying feature. I have Express VPN, but I didn't want the inconvenience of clicking a button at the top to see pictures in email. Is there no workaround? I can't find Load Remote Images anywhere.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 6:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2022 6:52 AM

In Mail go to Preferences then the Privacy tab and uncheck, "Protect Mail Activity, Hide IP Address, and Block All Remote Content" checkboxes.

New privacy settings which are necessary because of all the shady shenanigans being played out by marketing and social media companies. There are many things going on where your privacy is being invaded. Remote images are part of the invasion of privacy.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2022 6:52 AM in response to lpbeugene

In Mail go to Preferences then the Privacy tab and uncheck, "Protect Mail Activity, Hide IP Address, and Block All Remote Content" checkboxes.

New privacy settings which are necessary because of all the shady shenanigans being played out by marketing and social media companies. There are many things going on where your privacy is being invaded. Remote images are part of the invasion of privacy.

Nov 27, 2022 11:11 AM in response to James Brickley

James, Thanks. We should note that there is no longer "Preferences" in the dropdown menu. It is now "Settings" Then go to Privacy and do what James says. Apple knew this was going to be a new challenge with Ventura users. They should have sent out an email explaining this change since the previous "Load Remote Images" is no longer their language for remote images. In my settings, the "Block All Remote Content" was not checked, but still it would not load. I had to uncheck "Protect Mail Activity" and "Hide my IP" to get them to load.

[Edited by Moderator]

Nov 27, 2022 11:27 AM in response to lpbeugene

Getting used to the new naming conventions. i.e. Preferences -> Settings. I normally just press CMD + Comma so I didn't even notice they renamed it on App menus. I certainly know they changed System Preferences to Settings.

As to the shenanigans, they involve sneaky things like a hidden remote image single pixel whose job it is to let the senders know you read the email. Even rendering in preview would make a log entry to the web server with your IP address. Social media and Big Tech and marketing companies are connecting the dots from multiple sources of data to build profiles on people. In many cases, their database may know you better than you do yourself. They know what you like, they know how old you are, they know where you work, they know if you have a spouse or kids, etc. All remote images are rendered in HTML email much like a web browser every time that happens, they have a log entry. If you click a link, the link might contain a unique code sent back to the server and now they know the specific individual they emailed clicked the link.

It all went down hill when email started to allow HTML rendering. Before that it was text and only text. Even today, attachments are converted to text and converted back to a binary when you save it.

Loading Remote Images in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.