You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting new owned music on hard drive

Hi All,

Here's a challenge...about 5 years ago I decided to store my music (cd's) on XHD. The apple senior advisor split my hard drive into 1. Time Machine Backups 2. WD iTunes. Worked really great when I wanted to get my playlists onto my spare iPhone 5s (or my old iPod).

But now Apple is all in the finder. And I still have all my bought/owned music in the old Music App in the dock.

I've added a bunch more cd's to my music, but they aren't on the hard drive. I can't remember how I transferred new cd's etc onto my hard drive from my mac then onto the hard drive (WD iTunes). I made notes, that seemed very clear then but not so much now.

Can anyone help? Currently backing up via Time Machine.

I'm also doing this because even though everybody says Apple Music won't grab your owned music when you quit the subscription, a senior advisor at Apple Support said to be safe back your owned music up before you quit the subscription.

Hope somebody can help!

Thank you!

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 4:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 6:43 PM

I've added a bunch more cd's to my music, but they aren't on the hard drive.

Vesta,

When you rip a CD with iTunes, the resulting audio files are added to your "Music Media folder location" indicated in your preferences. It defaults to the local hard drive but you can set it to an external drive if you prefer.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2022 6:43 PM in response to vesta822

I've added a bunch more cd's to my music, but they aren't on the hard drive.

Vesta,

When you rip a CD with iTunes, the resulting audio files are added to your "Music Media folder location" indicated in your preferences. It defaults to the local hard drive but you can set it to an external drive if you prefer.

Nov 3, 2022 7:53 PM in response to ed2345

Please tell me which Preferences I would find the "Music Media Folder Location" in. The Music App in my dock is where my complete owned music resides. Finder/Music omits most of the owned music I "ripped" into the mac.

Problem is Finder/Music hasn't copied the majority of the music I previously stored in the Music/Itunes app.

Nov 3, 2022 8:02 PM in response to vesta822

Okay I found the Music Media File menu (Preferences/Music App in Dock) but I don't find an option for an External Hard Drive as a location. And at least one of the CDs isn't even in the Music App file.

The new Finder/Music system is missing about half my owned music: was never transferred. What can I do about this?

Thank you for your help.

getting new owned music on hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.