You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my older 9.7” iPad Pro twitchy and slow after os 16.1 update?

Ever since I updated my os on my iPad to 16.1, which I’ve been waiting for the non-beta version, it has become sluggish and twitchy. I can’t access any of my streaming services such as Amazon prime and Netflix. And when it does connect, if I don’t get completely dumped or locked up, video and audio are choppy at best. I generally operate my tablet with the power cable attached as to not work the battery too hard with variations to its charge capacity. Even YouTube is choppy! Is this a temporary condition due to the system RE-arranging and updating files and the core os in the backround? Or is it an update that I should have avoided, being it was a one way trip? I hope apples plan wasnt to entice older iPad owners to “pony up” for upgraded hardware ultimately….😠

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 5:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 5:55 AM

iPadOS 16.1 is the first full release - and may still have some latent issues that will be resolved, or at least improve, a successive updates are issued.

I have myself noted that screen scrolling and App transitions are not particularly smooth and can indeed be quite “choppy” - noting that this performance is being seen with a 2021 iPad Pro 12.9” M1. As such, your much older first generation iPad Pro 9.7” may be experiencing significantly more noticeable performance issues.

As such, while replacing your current iPad Pro with a more recent model might well improve matters, you might not fully resolve them. At present, the best advice that can be offered is to wait and see how matters improve.

In the meantime, there are two avenues to pursue.

1) Perform a forced-restart - as this will often clear a post-update issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

2) Consider contacting Apple Support for advice. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 25, 2022 5:55 AM in response to Jabucjr

iPadOS 16.1 is the first full release - and may still have some latent issues that will be resolved, or at least improve, a successive updates are issued.

I have myself noted that screen scrolling and App transitions are not particularly smooth and can indeed be quite “choppy” - noting that this performance is being seen with a 2021 iPad Pro 12.9” M1. As such, your much older first generation iPad Pro 9.7” may be experiencing significantly more noticeable performance issues.

As such, while replacing your current iPad Pro with a more recent model might well improve matters, you might not fully resolve them. At present, the best advice that can be offered is to wait and see how matters improve.

In the meantime, there are two avenues to pursue.

1) Perform a forced-restart - as this will often clear a post-update issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

2) Consider contacting Apple Support for advice. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Why is my older 9.7” iPad Pro twitchy and slow after os 16.1 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.