You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore iPad from iPhone

How to restore iPad Pro (OS15.7) from iPhone XS (iOS 16.0.3) backup?

Having trouble. Wondering if iPhone is too old to use this type of a restore procedure .

Thx,

~Earl

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 9:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 12:36 AM

To restore a device from a backup, the device you want to restore to has to have an OS version equal to or later than the device that made the backup.

You can try when the iPad gets update to iPadOD 16.0.2 or later. You can try when the iPad is first updated to iPadOS 16 which should be available in a few days.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 20, 2022 12:36 AM in response to Body_Surfer

To restore a device from a backup, the device you want to restore to has to have an OS version equal to or later than the device that made the backup.

You can try when the iPad gets update to iPadOD 16.0.2 or later. You can try when the iPad is first updated to iPadOS 16 which should be available in a few days.

Oct 19, 2022 9:58 PM in response to Body_Surfer

First, I don't think you can restore an iPad from an iOS backup. At least, with these being two different operating systems (albeit, maybe in name only), I wouldn't imagine it being doable. Of course, if someone has been doing this, they will chime in and correct me. No issues there.

Second, and staying with like operating systems, if you try restore from a backup of a newer version of iPadOS to one with an older version, you should see a warning that is going to tell you that you will need to update the older iPadOS to the same version as the backup's.

Ref: Restore an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that needs a newer version of iOS or iPadOS - Apple Support

Restore iPad from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.