You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to manually pair the Apple watch

I’ve tried to update my Apple Watch Series 3 but have been unable to do so. I keep a message that the software needs to be updated, which I then do on my iPhone, and then am informed the watch won’t pair. Is there a way to manually pair the watch and skip the software update? TIA!

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 1:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 1:20 PM

No. The issue with Apple Watch Series 3 is it very low in memory without nothing on it. The best advice we can offer is to unpair the watch from your iPhone, which will make a backup of the watch, then erase it back to out of box new. Then pair the watch with your iPhone and it will permit the update from which you can then restore the watch from the backup. This also assumes you do not own an iPhone which is currently running iOS 16. Any iPhone running iOS 16 requires a watch which can run WatchOS 9, which a Series 3 watch is incapable of running.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2022 1:20 PM in response to davidfurtado

No. The issue with Apple Watch Series 3 is it very low in memory without nothing on it. The best advice we can offer is to unpair the watch from your iPhone, which will make a backup of the watch, then erase it back to out of box new. Then pair the watch with your iPhone and it will permit the update from which you can then restore the watch from the backup. This also assumes you do not own an iPhone which is currently running iOS 16. Any iPhone running iOS 16 requires a watch which can run WatchOS 9, which a Series 3 watch is incapable of running.

How to manually pair the Apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.