You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My dad died. I can't get into his IPad because I do not have the Passcode. I called and the customer service person said the only way to do it was to reset it in which case I would lose all his pictures which is all I want. HELP!

My dad died. His IPad has a bunch of pictures and videos that he took. The Apple Customer service guy said the only thing I could do is reset in which case all the pictures would be lost. It won't let me do anything without a passcode which I do not have.

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 1:42 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2022 10:53 AM in response to LEONAJAYNE

As noted in the link already provided, Apple can help to gain access to someone’s data stored in iCloud. But for data stored solely on the device, there is nothing they can do to give you access to the data on the device itself.

Without the screen lock passcode, nobody can gain access to a device with data intact. That is by design - the one and the only way to reset a unknown or forgotten screen lock passcode requires the device be erased. There is no alternate mechanism to reset a screen lock passcode. This is a deliberate design feature of iOS and iPadOS to ensure nobody can gain access to a device, with data intact, without knowing the screen lock passcode.

So if the pictures were not sync’d to iCloud or saved on a hard drive or somewhere, and are only stored on the device then what Apple told you is correct - they cannot do anything to get them from the device. All they can do is instruct you how to erase the device to regain use of it.

My dad died. I can't get into his IPad because I do not have the Passcode. I called and the customer service person said the only way to do it was to reset it in which case I would lose all his pictures which is all I want. HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.