You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I installed the Catalina OS on my mac not realizing I wouldn't be able to run most of my important 32 bit software. What to do?

I installed the Catalina OS on my mac not realizing I wouldn't be able to run most of my important 32 bit software. What to do? I just want to return to my old OS!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 9:43 AM

4 replies

Oct 1, 2022 4:58 AM in response to GJGerardi

Scorched Earth Method 

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer <<

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. This applies to macOS 10.14 Mojave and above

5A - Formatting for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Sep 27, 2022 9:51 AM in response to GJGerardi

Have you checked with your software vendors to see if they. have updated, 64-bit versions of their software.

At this point, Apple have been telling developers for 10 years or so that 64-bit is the way forward, so either you're running old software that you haven't updated, the developer hasn't updated the app, or the app is depreciated and no longer supported.

At this point, your options pretty much fall into:

1) Upgrade to a newer version of the application

if that's no an option (the developer is no longer in business, or the app is no longer supported) then:

2) Find another application that can do what you need and migrate to it

or

3) Reinstall an older OS version and know that you can never update this.

Note that 3 does not have good long-term prospects. At some point your hardware will need updating and you may no longer be able to get a machine capable of running this software, so paths 1 or 2 are your best long-term options.

I installed the Catalina OS on my mac not realizing I wouldn't be able to run most of my important 32 bit software. What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.