You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 12.8.3.1

My old MacBook running iTunes 12.8.3.1 won't recognise my iPhone 11 PRO running IOS16. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 3:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 6:54 AM

From iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus - Technical Specifications - Apple:

Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10.10 or later

Which suggests iOS 16 should be supported on El Capitan upwards.

In Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2022 6:54 AM in response to tonygas

From iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus - Technical Specifications - Apple:

Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10.10 or later

Which suggests iOS 16 should be supported on El Capitan upwards.

In Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

Sep 22, 2022 10:52 PM in response to tonygas

Looks like you already got it worked out. I’m running High Sierra, iTunes 12.8.3.1, on my 2010 MacBook Pro. I updated my iPhone 8 Plus two days ago to iOS 16. When I plugged the phone into the computer, iTunes immediately said that it needs to download some software to work with iOS 16. I did that and then iTunes communicated with the phone with no problem. I was surprised but happy that it’s still being supported. I didn’t need to use MobileDeviceUpdater or anything else.

itunes 12.8.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.