You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Stuck on Gray Startup Screen

I have a intel MacBook Pro. On startup it would get about halfway through the loading process and then restart. It would do this forever. I zapped PRAM, did the hardware diagnostics (D on startup) and passed, put it in Target mode and had another MacBook Pro run a Disk Utility and have tried to start in Safe Mode with no luck.

After doing the Disk Utility in Target Mode it now gets about 2/3 through startup and then goes to blank gray screen and hangs. Still can't get it into Safe Mode.

Tried starting from a disc (Option on startup or C on startup) and I get the three quick beeps. I checked the RAM, removed and reinstalled. Try CD again and still get the 3 beeps.

Tried starting from a external/USB CD drive and still get 3 beeps.

The only progress I've made is it is not restarting on it's own. Diagnostics show that all hardware (RAM and HD) are fine. There is 40gigs left on HD so I am not running out of disk space.

Some of the many threads I have been looking at

My Mac Book pro won't boot in Safe Mode. … - Apple Community

Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

Any ideas? The inside of it is in really great shape considering how old it is (minimal dust) and there isn't any visible damage.

TIA

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 10:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 2:11 PM

Chris Hamilton5 wrote:

I have a intel MacBook Pro. On startup it would get about halfway through the loading process and then restart. It would do this forever. I zapped PRAM, did the hardware diagnostics (D on startup) and passed, put it in Target mode and had another MacBook Pro run a Disk Utility and have tried to start in Safe Mode with no luck.

After doing the Disk Utility in Target Mode it now gets about 2/3 through startup and then goes to blank gray screen and hangs. Still can't get it into Safe Mode.

Tried starting from a disc (Option on startup or C on startup) and I get the three quick beeps. I checked the RAM, removed and reinstalled. Try CD again and still get the 3 beeps.

The only progress I've made is it is not restarting on it's own. Diagnostics show that all hardware (RAM and HD) are fine. There is 40gigs left on HD so I am not running out of disk space.

Any ideas? The inside of it is in really great shape considering how old it is (minimal dust) and there isn't any visible damage.

TIA

If your Mac starts up to a blank screen (white, black, gray, or blue)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210905

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2022 2:11 PM in response to Chris Hamilton5

Chris Hamilton5 wrote:

TIA

If your Mac starts up to a blank screen (white, black, gray, or blue)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210905

MacBook Pro Stuck on Gray Startup Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.