You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error # 9006 and How to update to the latest iOS 15.6.1?

I always use iTunes to update to the latest iOS, but not without difficulties. In the last year and a few previous versions, I would get a pop-up message "Unknown Error occurred 9006" restart or try again later. It would take me 10-20 attempts to succeed. I read online, and quite a few people have had the same issues. I looked for a solution, like restarting devices, Dr. Phone, etc, .ipsw to download, but nothing worked. I read that this occurs because the Apple servers are too busy. It looks like they have been too busy for the last 5 days because I am unable to update trying 100 times.

Is there a solution to update using the latest iTunes, or shell I update just using the iPhone itself?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 1:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 1:59 PM

You are correct in that error 9006 would indicate an issue with accessing the Apple servers. This could be that the servers are busy, especially since the media has announced that this would be a critical update, and many concurrent downloads are being attempted. Depending on where you are located, these delays may be worse than others.

One area to check is with your Mac's connection to the Internet. If you are using either or both software firewalls and/or a VPN, try disabling them before starting another update via iTunes.

Another is to verify that your Mac is running the latest version of iTunes (pre-Catalina).

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2022 1:59 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

You are correct in that error 9006 would indicate an issue with accessing the Apple servers. This could be that the servers are busy, especially since the media has announced that this would be a critical update, and many concurrent downloads are being attempted. Depending on where you are located, these delays may be worse than others.

One area to check is with your Mac's connection to the Internet. If you are using either or both software firewalls and/or a VPN, try disabling them before starting another update via iTunes.

Another is to verify that your Mac is running the latest version of iTunes (pre-Catalina).

Aug 28, 2022 3:47 PM in response to Tesserax

The server is too busy and has been for the last year or so, I am surprised that with the big budget, Apple does not update the servers, Amazon always does. :o) I tried to update direct to the iPhone and the iPad for the very first time and I succeeded on the first attempt. I was very puzzled, if I use the mobile devices, the servers are not busy, but on using the desktop they are.

Aug 28, 2022 6:13 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

FWIW, I have updated my iPhones & iPads to 15.6.1 recently, some "over-the-air" and others via Finder (I am not running any versions of macOS earlier than Monterey presently), and none of them experienced this issue. I'm not saying that you aren't, but I have no way to verify using iTunes to support your claim. Maybe, someone else here who still does, will chime in to help you with this. Good luck!

Error # 9006 and How to update to the latest iOS 15.6.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.