You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD drives continually ejecting

It appears this has been an ongoing problem through the last 2-3 Mac OS without a real solution.

I am running OS 12.5.1 on my MacBook Pro and have an external SSD drive hooked up through USB C for my TimeMachine backup. The drive will back up but will often eject multiple times a day with the usual warning from the OS saying I have not ejected it correctly. I have read many forum posts without a real solution. This often seems to happen after my Mac goes to sleep but not always. I have used the same drive and USB C cable on my iMac running the same OS without reproducing the problem. Also, this does not seem to happen when I boot into safe mode. Unchecking "Put hard drive to sleep when possible" has no effect, even though others claim that works for them.

I would like to see if this is affecting others and if anyone has found a real solution. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 4:00 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 23, 2022 12:55 PM in response to ajmac25

Hi ajmac25,

Do you notice this issue regardless of port on your MacBook Pro?

If your MacBook Pro has multiple USB-C ports, try a different one and see if you can get the same thing to happen. If you cannot, its likely an issue with that specific port on your Mac that may require inspection.

Also, does this occur both on the charger and on battery?

Let us know and we'll continue based on that info.

Cheers!

Aug 23, 2022 6:07 PM in response to DerekM87

Yes all USB ports and using a powered hub. Always on a charger. Will try battery only.

I spoke with Apple support and they recommended deleting all log-in option apps under Users and Groups. I did this and it seemed to work until I let my computer sleep overnight and when I awoke it today, the drive had ejected.

Sep 1, 2022 1:11 PM in response to Ben_Z1

It continues with the battery only or the power adapter.

Apple support was contacted without much help.

They asked that I delete all items under "Login Items".

I tried this and it seemed to work for a day.

When my computer awoke from an "overnight sleep", the drive had ejected itself and I received the same Apple error.

Apple contacted again and they will send my issue to "next level support."

NOthing more at this point.

External SSD drives continually ejecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.