You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Right Shift Key is Behaving Oddly - I Cannot Type a capital A without holding the Left Shift Key

I have an issue where my Right Shift Key does not produce a capital A when shift + A are pressed. All other capital letters are produced when pressing the Right Shift key, only the A key results in no input. I have activated the keyboard viewer and I can see both the Left & Right shift keys highlight when either the Left or Right shift key is pressed, but when the Right shift key and the A key are pressed, the A key is not highlighted and no output (niether upper or lowercase "aA" is produced).

If I press the Left shift key and the A key, an uppercase A is produced. I can also see that input highlighted on the keyboard viewer.

Is there any key combination that would disable Right/Shift + A?

I have also tried another keyboard and the same behavior is true with that keyboard.

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 1:28 PM

Thomas Montague wrote:

I have an issue where my Right Shift Key does not produce a capital A when shift + A

I have also tried another keyboard and the same behavior is true with that keyboard.

That is odd —

Try a Safeboot to test

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2022 1:28 PM in response to Thomas Montague

Thomas Montague wrote:

I have an issue where my Right Shift Key does not produce a capital A when shift + A

That is odd —

Try a Safeboot to test

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Right Shift Key is Behaving Oddly - I Cannot Type a capital A without holding the Left Shift Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.