You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why would I purchase via iTunes?

This is more of a general comment rather than a question for the community. Why would I purchase ANYTHING via the iTunes store? For the same price as a movie download I can order a Blu-ray, rip it and watch it on any device I wish without dealing with the BS that is DRM.

Similarly with music. Paolo Nutini's album, 'Last Night in the Bittersweet' is £10.99 via iTunes, exactly the same price from Amazon as a CD and available as part of a music subscription at no additional cost. My subscription is currently with Apple Music but until recently was with Spotify.

I simply don't see me ever downloading anything from iTunes in the future.

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 12:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 12:33 PM

Many people purchase from iTunes because of the convenience and ease of use. If you were to rip a Blu-Ray there is a time factor (it takes time to rip and time is money), potential criminality factor (bypassing DRM on discs may not be legal in your jurisdiction; further even in places where you may be able to rip content, you must still retain possession of the physical media), and storage factor (iTunes purchases can readily be downloaded again from the store should space become necessary on device. Increasingly folks are not retaining physical media either.

I would never purchase a CD or DVD. It is, of course, your choice.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2022 12:33 PM in response to Alan C

Many people purchase from iTunes because of the convenience and ease of use. If you were to rip a Blu-Ray there is a time factor (it takes time to rip and time is money), potential criminality factor (bypassing DRM on discs may not be legal in your jurisdiction; further even in places where you may be able to rip content, you must still retain possession of the physical media), and storage factor (iTunes purchases can readily be downloaded again from the store should space become necessary on device. Increasingly folks are not retaining physical media either.

I would never purchase a CD or DVD. It is, of course, your choice.

Why would I purchase via iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.