You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it ok to check out my external hard drive in Disk Utility while it is connected to Time Machine?

After the first Time Machine backup was complete, I went to Disk Utility and checked my backup disk (external hard drive)'s format, mount point, etc (I was just curious). I did not change anything, but now am worried that if it was ok to do because the external hard drive was still connected to Time Machine.

Was it ok to check out my external hard drive in Disk Utility while it was connected to Time Machine? Did I need to remove it from Time Machine beforehand? Or this is something totally ok to do and no harm done, it is ok to leave it as is, and should let Time Machine keep running backups as nothing happened?

So sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm not tech savvy . . .

Mac Studio

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 4:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 4:19 PM

It will be fine.

Similar questions

3 replies

Is it ok to check out my external hard drive in Disk Utility while it is connected to Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.