You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

How is the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter bidirectional? I need to attach a Thunderbolt 3 cable to a Thunderbolt 1 port on a 2013 iMac.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 4:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 6:16 PM

Seeing you are referring to this Thunderbolt Adapter

I looked here (About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support) and saw this

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter connects a Mac that has a Thunderbolt 3 port to a device that uses a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Based off of that excerpt, it looks like you can use that adapter for thunderbolt gen 1 and gen 2 plugs

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2022 6:16 PM in response to kezapp

Seeing you are referring to this Thunderbolt Adapter

I looked here (About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support) and saw this

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter connects a Mac that has a Thunderbolt 3 port to a device that uses a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Based off of that excerpt, it looks like you can use that adapter for thunderbolt gen 1 and gen 2 plugs

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.