You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery and Trackpad

Hi,

I have an issue with my MacBook Pro's trackpad, it won't physically click. I tried a factory reset, but ever since I did so the battery drains really fast. Might this be a case of battery swelling, causing the trackpad to malfunction as well, or is this just a software bug?

I might add that last week my MacBook suddenly restarted on its own and after that the trackpad physically clicked for like 5 seconds, but hasn't anymore since.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

MacBook Pro 13″, 12.4

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 11:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 2:35 PM

That can happen. I just had the battery in my mid-2012 Unibody replaced. I really needed a battery, but I could tell it was slightly swollen and pressed against the trackpad. It was an older model with Apple-approved DIY modsI could only get a trackpad click in two corners and I had to press really hard. I had some power issues and got the battery replaced. With the new battery it was all back to normal.

The only caveat is that it might require a higher price if the battery swelling damaged the keyboard or trackpad. There’s a value to the keyboard and top case, which is less if it can’t be reused. The battery replacement fee assumes the case and keyboard is in good shape.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 20, 2022 2:35 PM in response to StevenPijp

That can happen. I just had the battery in my mid-2012 Unibody replaced. I really needed a battery, but I could tell it was slightly swollen and pressed against the trackpad. It was an older model with Apple-approved DIY modsI could only get a trackpad click in two corners and I had to press really hard. I had some power issues and got the battery replaced. With the new battery it was all back to normal.

The only caveat is that it might require a higher price if the battery swelling damaged the keyboard or trackpad. There’s a value to the keyboard and top case, which is less if it can’t be reused. The battery replacement fee assumes the case and keyboard is in good shape.

Battery and Trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.