You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add a new iCloud email address to an Old Apple ID?

I have an Apple ID that predates iCloud. It used a gmail email address. How do I add an iCloud address to the Apple ID account?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 1:54 PM

I don't want a new apple ID. I want to add an iCloud email address to an existing Apple ID.

5 replies

Jun 10, 2022 9:32 AM in response to Eric Root

OK, this just got weird.

I could not add an alias in Mac Mail on my Mac, so I went to icloud.com. I was able to add a different alias there. Then shut everything down and rebooted.

Now, the Mac Mail account has both the aliases BUT not the email that I used for my apple ID. BUT the email I used for my apple ID is in the account as the user ID (that makes sense).

The iCloud aliases work to send email.

If I choose the email that is the actual account email (not iCloud), I can't send email.

Weird #2: now that I used iCloud.com to add an alias, I went to MacMail to remove the unwanted one. This time, rather than opening a window in MacMail, it opened iCloud.com!

Part of the problem is that my Apple ID was created a decade before there was iCloud. So, I've always had problems getting it to figure out what's happening.

How do I add a new iCloud email address to an Old Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.