You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up New MBP with Time Machine

I'm awaiting delivery of a new MacBook Pro and will need to transfer everything from my old MBP (M1). Current machine is operating Big Sur.

For my past several upgrades, I've used Migration Assistant, but I'm thinking of using Time Machine this time. (Feels like a few gremlins have followed me with past MA transfers.)

My current TM backup includes mainly data files and excludes the following to save space: 

I think I should add /Applications to the backup before restoring to the new Mac? Do I need to add any of the other excluded folders too?

Any other tips on a smooth transfer process are welcome!

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 6:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 7:08 AM

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and other have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Issues that may exist on the computer where the Time Machine Backup was created will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

2 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

As one ( you ) is moving from an Apple Silicon M1 to a newer Apple Silicon M1 - most if not all Application should work fine with exception of problematic Applications.

Then a Clean Installation of the problematic would be suggested.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2022 7:08 AM in response to rcgregory1

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and other have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Issues that may exist on the computer where the Time Machine Backup was created will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

2 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

As one ( you ) is moving from an Apple Silicon M1 to a newer Apple Silicon M1 - most if not all Application should work fine with exception of problematic Applications.

Then a Clean Installation of the problematic would be suggested.

Jun 3, 2022 7:37 AM in response to rcgregory1

Not really, aside from Empty Space on the New M1 Machine versus the Old M1 Computer.

Just a foot note - neither of the two suggestions provided, are the Absolute Right Answer.

The " comfort level " of the User ( you ), confidence in either of the two methods suggested, is more important than anything else.

Thereafter - Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful.

For addition purposes - two Tested Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase . At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Does my CCC backup have to be bootable for me to restore data from it?

Jun 3, 2022 7:14 AM in response to rcgregory1

Is your old Mac really an M1. If so it cannot be very old. That being said I always use TM to migrate all at the initial setup on my new Mac. Since you are going from Big Sur to Monterey the transfer should be very smooth. I see no reason for you to exclude anything. You may have to reauthorize an app or two. I recently did this and no issues at all.

Jun 3, 2022 7:25 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks so much for the quick response.

Even though I am migrating from one M1 mac to another, I think I will follow your suggestion of migrating only the USER ACCOUNT and then installing APPS anew.

Have you seen any other issues I should be aware of to make the process smooth? I'm trying to balance getting my machine back up and running the way it was so I can get back to work quickly vs. a relatively fresh start under the hood.

MANY THANKS!

Setting up New MBP with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.