You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TIME MACHINE has recently failed to complete backups in macOS Monterey V 12.3.1 (21E258)

After years of success, TIME MACHINE has recently failed to complete backups, so I have paused backups. Does the blocked backup skip the problem file and continue the rest of the backup or just freeze? Can I just ignore this? Or, if these files are not critical/essential, could I just delete such files as: “/private/var/db/uuidtext/DA/CEF031895032D092E78C9A868CCD1D” could not be backed up.

or

“/Users/stanchappell/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/IndexedDB/https _45d5d2410438458ca302fd7ffc941c07.safeframe.googlesyndication.com_0.indexeddb.leveldb” could not be backed up.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 27, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2022 9:26 AM

Hey lstanchappell,

Maintaining a current backup is very important! We don't recommend deleting those files as they could be needed by those apps. You'll want to reach out to those app developers to look into those files, and what's causing this to happen as shown here: If Time Machine on your Mac doesn’t back up certain files - Apple Support

We also thought you'd find this guide helpful regarding Time Machine: Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 28, 2022 9:26 AM in response to lstanchappell

Hey lstanchappell,

Maintaining a current backup is very important! We don't recommend deleting those files as they could be needed by those apps. You'll want to reach out to those app developers to look into those files, and what's causing this to happen as shown here: If Time Machine on your Mac doesn’t back up certain files - Apple Support

We also thought you'd find this guide helpful regarding Time Machine: Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

May 29, 2022 8:59 AM in response to TammyW_03

Thanks, TammyW_03, BUT I NEED TO KNOW if the Time Machine backup halts completely when it comes to a problematic file, or does it continue backing up the rest of the "normal" content, just noting the missed file? I have set Time Machine to skip the problematic file (which it is able to do if I exclude that file in "preferences/options") but on the next backup, it is disabled by yet another, similar obscure file, usually deep in my Library. If the backup is aborted completely, I need to stop using Time Machine and create a manual backup with another external drive, using a more useful app. Can you advise or comment, please?

May 29, 2022 9:06 AM in response to lstanchappell

Since you know the full paths, have you Entered Time Machine to see if they are there?

I don't think skipped files are anything other than that .... just skipped over. As far as I can tell, all the rest is backed up as usual. The one or two times I saw that, it made absolutely no difference when restoring the backups.

May 29, 2022 9:06 AM in response to lstanchappell

lstanchappell,

To clarify a few points, does the entire backup process stop after you see one of those alerts? Based on this text below from the article posted above, if the backup is otherwise completing, your data should be backed up other than the files referenced in the alert:

"In rare cases, Time Machine can’t back up software from companies other than Apple due to a setting made by that software. For more information, contact the manufacturer of the software."

We hope that helps. Take care.

May 29, 2022 11:21 AM in response to lstanchappell

lstanchappell wrote:

Thanks, TammyW_03, BUT I NEED TO KNOW if the Time Machine backup halts completely when it comes to a problematic file, or does it continue backing up the rest of the "normal" content, just noting the missed file? I have set Time Machine to skip the problematic file (which it is able to do if I exclude that file in "preferences/options") but on the next backup, it is disabled by yet another, similar obscure file, usually deep in my Library. If the backup is aborted completely, I need to stop using Time Machine and create a manual backup with another external drive, using a more useful app. Can you advise or comment, please?

I suggest that you test your Time Machine backups, something one should do now and then anyway.

After a Time Machine backups is done with one of messages indicating some files were not backed up, go into the Time Machine interface and restore a file from that latest backup, a file that did not return an error message. Choose a file that was added new or modified just prior to the backup and make sure that the newest version of the file is retired, which means it was indeed backed up.

May 29, 2022 12:23 PM in response to steve626

Steve626: I tried what you suggest in your 2nd paragraph: After a failed backup, I added two newly created files (a MSWord file and a web link) and saved in different folders. I then did another backup. That also eventually failed on an obscure file similar to previous problem files.

Good news is that those 2 new files I created after the failed backup appeared intact in the Time Machine when I entered it. So maybe I will just ignore the glitch, since my main concern is saving the kinds of data I work with every day: photos, financials, etc.: the essential stuff.

It seems that Time Machine starts its backup with more recent content in Desktop, Documents, common Applications, etc., and works on the esoteric data, logs, archives, etc., afterwards. Does that sound correct?

Thanks, everyone.

May 29, 2022 9:12 PM in response to lstanchappell

It sounds like those error messages are more informative than indicative of backup failure. The backups have apparently succeeded but a small number of files (for whatever reason) did not get backed up. Those files do not look important to me.

I don't think anyone but Apple really understands the Time Machine algorithm and order that it backs up files in.

TIME MACHINE has recently failed to complete backups in macOS Monterey V 12.3.1 (21E258)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.