You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inconsistent articulations?

I've been playing with articulations on and off for about the past year or so; don't recall when I started, but likely after Logic Pro 10.7.1 became available. To (attempt to) "keep a long story short", I've used the "Ah", "Uu", "Oo", and "Mm" articulations for some of the Orchestral > Choir voices in the past, and they seemed to work fine; I just selected the notes I wanted the articulation applied to, changed it, and... *poof* ...done/works first time, as I'd expect.

More recently (don't recall as of which version, but currently having issues with this in 10.7.4), that behavior doesn't appear to be consistent anymore - and even some of the inconsistent behavior is further inconsistent. Yes, I know that sounds redundant, but here's what I mean (and yes, I've gone through the standard support checklist; restarted the Mac, etc.).

1. If I create a new project, add a Software Instrument track, and add Orchestral > Choir > Boys Chamber Ensemble, create a MIDI region, add a note, and then change the articulation from one to another, playing that note plays the corresponding articulation as expected. If I then use the Library browser to change to another voice that I *think* should have articulation (e.g. Classical Female Swells, path: Legacy/Logic/10 Orchestral/9 Choir/Chamber Female Swells), the same articulation set is present, but none of them work. If I then change *back* to Boys Chamber Ensemble, it isn't working for that anymore, either - I have to create a new track and start over. Granted, perhaps some (most? all?) may not have articulation if that wasn't a feature "in the before times", but switching back to one that *does* should properly re-apply all applicable attributes, eh?
  2. Some tracks/regions/sounds will show the above articulation list, but have no effect... unless there's a modulation event preceding the affected note, in which case I'll get a different articulation that the standard "Ah" (typically the one for "Oo"), whether that's what I intended or not. Changing the articulation setting for the note won't make a different, but moving the modulation event to *follow* the affected note will at least stop the unintended articulation change.
  3. Thinking this might be a "workaround" for some instances, I've tried to explicitly/manually insert modulation before/during/after a note to force it to change articulation - sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, so not an effective workaround, but also inconsistent.

Need someone from Apple to review/investigate this and correct the behavior in Logic Pro so that it's always consistent. If that means that I can't (ever) use articulation with sounds not intended to be used with that feature, that's fine. But rather that than having to manually manipulate events - especially to remove unintended/unwanted articulation.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 24, 2022 6:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 7:10 AM

Hey there, you'd have a better chance of reaching Apple folks by using this form / page: Feedback - Logic Pro – Apple

Similar questions

2 replies

Inconsistent articulations?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.