You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Macbook Pro 2019 recognize Apple's external DVD (Superdrive)?

I've seen this question asked, but the answer did not answer it. I've seen online that it requires two USB ports to power the DVD player. This Apple thread pro states that all is needed is an adapter. That does not work. The DVD player makes a little sound, but is not recognized. On my 2015 devices, it works. Will it work or not on this 2019 Mac?

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 10:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 12:23 PM

"Adapter" is not a hub or a dock. Unless your drive is defective, or the port or the Mac are defective, a simple passthrough USB-C to USB adapter is the definitive solution.

Here's Apples: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Only a single port is required. And yes, if the caveats mentioned above are not present, it will work on your 2019 Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 30, 2022 12:23 PM in response to VocalEdge

"Adapter" is not a hub or a dock. Unless your drive is defective, or the port or the Mac are defective, a simple passthrough USB-C to USB adapter is the definitive solution.

Here's Apples: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Only a single port is required. And yes, if the caveats mentioned above are not present, it will work on your 2019 Mac.

Apr 30, 2022 12:09 PM in response to VocalEdge

VocalEdge wrote:

I've seen this question asked, but the answer did not answer it. I've seen online that it requires two USB ports to power the DVD player. This Apple thread pro states that all is needed is an adapter. That does not work. The DVD player makes a little sound, but is not recognized. On my 2015 devices, it works. Will it work or not on this 2019 Mac?

what happens when you insert a DVD/CD ?

Will Macbook Pro 2019 recognize Apple's external DVD (Superdrive)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.