You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers Help!! Conditional Formatting!

First time posting on this forum, and was hoping I could get some assistance on Numbers.

I work in sport and I've always been used to Excel. I'm looking for the easiest way to conditionally format the highest number in each row to highlight which player has the highest value of each key indicator.

I've done an example on the right hand on what this would ideally look like without me having to manually change the cell colour to green each time.

i.e If "cell a" is greater than "cell b" and "cell c", change colour to green.

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 6:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 8:02 AM

One way is to do something like this:

1 - add an extra column to calculate the MAX for that row.

Click the box and arrow token and then click the cell with the max value.

Make sure the Preserve Column is checked as you will be comparing cells in different columns to the cell with the MAX in column E:

Choose the type of highlighting you want:

Result:

Once you've got the highlighting working then hide Column E.

I've left out KP16 and KP17 because you have a different configuration of cells in those rows (nice visually, but it complicates spreadsheet calculations). But the approach would be the same. Calculate a maximum of the target cells in a separate cell, perhaps with the formula that looks something like =MAX(B7,D7,F7), i.e. referencing individual cells rather than a contiguous range. Then apply the Conditional Highlighting to each cell by comparing its value to the value in the cell containing the calculated maximum.

SG

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 21, 2022 8:02 AM in response to SB1995

One way is to do something like this:

1 - add an extra column to calculate the MAX for that row.

Click the box and arrow token and then click the cell with the max value.

Make sure the Preserve Column is checked as you will be comparing cells in different columns to the cell with the MAX in column E:

Choose the type of highlighting you want:

Result:

Once you've got the highlighting working then hide Column E.

I've left out KP16 and KP17 because you have a different configuration of cells in those rows (nice visually, but it complicates spreadsheet calculations). But the approach would be the same. Calculate a maximum of the target cells in a separate cell, perhaps with the formula that looks something like =MAX(B7,D7,F7), i.e. referencing individual cells rather than a contiguous range. Then apply the Conditional Highlighting to each cell by comparing its value to the value in the cell containing the calculated maximum.

SG

Numbers Help!! Conditional Formatting!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.