You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New IMAC

So I'm really new to the apple products, and bought my first IMAC to start recording music and whatnot.

I have a Yamaha MG10XU mixer which I CANNOT get it to work with the new IMAC. It only has usb c and thunderbolt so I connected the mixer via usb c and downloaded yamaha's Tools software as well as it's driver. I've also disabled apple's security thing so it will accept the mixer. Although the imac detects the mixer, the mic and the headset doesn't work. I've searched the internet for an answer, but literally there's no answer to it... please help

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 1:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 5:20 PM

Does Yamaha say it is compatible with Monterey and Apple Silicon?

6 replies

Apr 8, 2022 2:07 PM in response to actuallykuku

the mic and headset should show up under audio inputs.... you may have to set that up under Audio MIDI setup.... and go to system preferences--->sounds--->Alerts/effects....inputs.,... if plugged in, and working, you should be able to tap on the mic

and watch the input level bars go up...you can also adjust the input volume.... I presume you're talking about THIS driver which supports Mac OS 11/12 (both Intel and Apple Silicon)

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver_for_mac.html

how are your mic and headset connected to your Yamaha MG10XU mixer ? or how are they connected to your iMac... the most recent imacs have usb-c and Thunderbolt 3..... they also have USB 2.0 ports, and I think one headphone port...could you give us the exact model of your iMac ? ....you can find that out by going to "About this Mac" under the large Apple icon at the top left of your screen, if you try to use a conventional 3.5 mm "PC" mic/headset with your iMac it won't work, as Macs use TRRS sockets for mic input, so you'd need a TRRS to TRS 3.5 mm adapter, which aren't that expensive...oh, and I almost forgot, under " Security and Privacy"you have to give it access to the microphone....

well, it's something, anyways.... feel free to post back here.... I'm no expert, though.....

john b

Apr 8, 2022 3:55 PM in response to Johnb-one

first, thank you so much for replying... there's barely any advice on what i actually need.

Input level bar does NOT go up. i see it on the list and i select it, but it doesn't budge at all.

my mic is connected to my mixer via xlr cable

my headset is connected to my mixer via 6.35mm 1/4 Male to 3.5mm 1/8 Female 

my mixer is connected to the imac via usb b (printer cable) to usb c (not thunderbolt)

my imac doesn't have any audio inputs. It just has 2 thunderbolts and 2 usb c inputs and that's it

my imac model is m1, 2021.

i went into audio midi and someone said "press ctrl and left click" and the option to "use this as input/output" option shows but I can't select it. It's not selectable.

I went into security and privacy, and mic only had garage band allowing it.

Is there something i'm missing still??

Also, thank you once again for helping me really really appreciate it

Apr 8, 2022 7:22 PM in response to actuallykuku

probably not.... this is what I could find on short notice....it's a link to install the Steinberg driver for the mixer.....

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360020574899-macOS-Yamaha-Steinberg-USB-Thunderbolt-Driver-and-TOOLS-installation...... other than that, I'd say "talk to Yamaha".....this final link explains how to set it up in Audio MIDI setup....

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/mixers/mg_series_xu_model/manual_driver.html

john B

New IMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.