You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem installing Wacom driver after update to Mojave

There was a previous discussion about this issue in 2019, which matches mine now, and which didn't seem to have a solution then. After installing Mojave, my Wacom Intuous tablet would not function, so I found the new driver, downloaded it, and attempted to install.

I got a predictable message saying there was previous driver already installed that must be removed, which I did find in my applications folder. Then, I followed the precise instructions given: open the utility and click remove under the tablet software heading. When I then attempted to install the new driver, I got the VERY SAME message about the existing driver. Checking the Applications folder, the Wacom items I'd previously seen there were gone, and a search showed 0 items (see attached screenshot).

In other words, my computer shows that the driver file has been removed, but the Wacom installer thinks it's still there. These can't both be true.

Clicking "close" in the error message removes the install window. Clicking the installer file again simply restarts the very same dead end trip, even after two restarts.

I need the Wacom tablet to process photographic images in Adobe Lightroom, work I've been hired to do and deliver to a client by end of day on Monday. The pen feature of a tablet is essential to this work, it simply can not be done with a mouse or trackball. As far as I can tell, Wacom no longer offers any live support, but if anyone knows otherwise, that would be immensely valuable to me.

Otherwise, I will have to change my startup disk and boot from my "backup" drive in order to use the tablet while I wait for a solution to this.

Thanks to anyone with insight on this.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 11:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 10:25 AM

Below are the steps to install the driver for a tablet on Mac OS 10.14 and how to adjust the security settings needed.

Step 1: Compatibility

To be compatible with MacOS 10.14 Mojave, the device must be supported by the 6.3.31-4 driver or newer. To check which devices are compatible, visit the Wacom Driver Page and select “compatible produces” link.

When installing the driver, the message “The Wacom Tablet Driver can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.” This means the security settings for the computer are set only to allow downloads from the Apple app store. To install the Wacom Driver, the installation security settings on the computer will also need to be adjusted. For more information on security and the steps to allow unidentified developer installs visit Apple’s support page here.

Step 2: Installing

Download the current driver. Once the driver has been installed, connect your device to the computer.

Note: If prompted for permissions during the installation process, choose to allow.

Security & Privacy Permissions

Follow these steps if you were not prompted for permissions, or if your pen or touch is not working correctly. 

Note: If the pen or touch is not working after install, check these settings even if you were prompted to allow the permissions.

• Go to the Apple menu, open System Preferences, and select Security & Privacy.
  • Go to the General tab, click the allow button located at the bottom for Wacom Technology Corp.
  • Go to the Privacy tab, select Accessibility then click on the lock at the bottom of the preferences to make changes. You will be asked to input your credentials.
  • On the list “allow the apps below to control your computer”, make sure any Wacom component listed has a checkmark. While you are here, ensure any known applications listed have a check as well. (For example, Photoshop will need to be selected to work correctly with the tablet, visit Adobe support guide for more information on adding this program if missing. 
  • If no Wacom components are listed, move the Security & Privacy preferences to the side, we will need to return here within a few steps.
    • Click on the desktop and press Command+Shift+G, open Finder, or click Go on the Menu Bar and select Go to Folder
    • Type: /Library/Application Support/Tablet/ then press GO.
    • Locate com.wacom.IOManger.app
    • Making sure you are still allowed to make changes (lock is open), drag and drop the item to the list under Accessibility in Security & Privacy. Ensure the new item is checked.
    • Close the preferences, restart your computer.
  • Next check under Automation also in the privacy tab in the Security & Privacy preferences. Any Wacom components here such as the Wacom Desktop Center or the WacomTabletDriver.app and WacomTouchDriver.app should have checkmarks. If a component is not listed, it means it hasn’t requested control yet.
  • To add the WacomTabletDriver.app and WacomTouchDriver.app:
    • Click on the desktop and press Command+Shift+G, open Finder, or click Go on the Menu Bar and select Go to Folder
    • Type: Applications/Wacom Tablet/.Tablet then press GO. You may need to force Finder to show hidden files by pressing CMD + Shift + ”.”
    • Drag and drop the WacomTabletDriver.app and WacomTouchDriver.app to the list under Automation in the Security & Privacy section. Ensure the new item is checked.
  • To add the Wacom Desktop Center to Automation, follow the steps below.
    • Launch the Wacom Desktop Center
    • Select your device and go to any of the settings (such as pen settings)
    • A dialog will open, make sure to allow the app.

Note when Upgrading OS: When upgrading 10.14 to a new service pack, i.e. 10.14.3 to 10.14.4 you may need to the force the system to accept the security settings again.

• Go to the Privacy tab again, select Accessibility then click on the lock at the bottom of the preferences to make changes.
  • Uncheck the Wacom Touch Driver, then log out of the user.
  • Login into the user again, open Accessibility and check the add the driver settings again.

Note: Mac OS only allows the security settings to be changed within the first 30 minutes of installing the application. If the issue continues, please over install the driver with the current driver (even if you already have the current driver installed). Once installed, go to Apple Menu>System Preferences> Security and Privacy. If needed a prompt to allow the missing permissions should be shown. Click the lock icon at the lower left to allow changes to the settings, then select the allow button.

Is there a compatible driver for Mac OS 10.14 Mojave? – Wacom

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2022 10:25 AM in response to tytoalbaow

Below are the steps to install the driver for a tablet on Mac OS 10.14 and how to adjust the security settings needed.

Step 1: Compatibility

To be compatible with MacOS 10.14 Mojave, the device must be supported by the 6.3.31-4 driver or newer. To check which devices are compatible, visit the Wacom Driver Page and select “compatible produces” link.

When installing the driver, the message “The Wacom Tablet Driver can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.” This means the security settings for the computer are set only to allow downloads from the Apple app store. To install the Wacom Driver, the installation security settings on the computer will also need to be adjusted. For more information on security and the steps to allow unidentified developer installs visit Apple’s support page here.

Step 2: Installing

Download the current driver. Once the driver has been installed, connect your device to the computer.

Note: If prompted for permissions during the installation process, choose to allow.

Security & Privacy Permissions

Follow these steps if you were not prompted for permissions, or if your pen or touch is not working correctly. 

Note: If the pen or touch is not working after install, check these settings even if you were prompted to allow the permissions.

• Go to the Apple menu, open System Preferences, and select Security & Privacy.
  • Go to the General tab, click the allow button located at the bottom for Wacom Technology Corp.
  • Go to the Privacy tab, select Accessibility then click on the lock at the bottom of the preferences to make changes. You will be asked to input your credentials.
  • On the list “allow the apps below to control your computer”, make sure any Wacom component listed has a checkmark. While you are here, ensure any known applications listed have a check as well. (For example, Photoshop will need to be selected to work correctly with the tablet, visit Adobe support guide for more information on adding this program if missing. 
  • If no Wacom components are listed, move the Security & Privacy preferences to the side, we will need to return here within a few steps.
    • Type: /Library/Application Support/Tablet/ then press GO.
    • Locate com.wacom.IOManger.app
    • Making sure you are still allowed to make changes (lock is open), drag and drop the item to the list under Accessibility in Security & Privacy. Ensure the new item is checked.
  • Next check under Automation also in the privacy tab in the Security & Privacy preferences. Any Wacom components here such as the Wacom Desktop Center or the WacomTabletDriver.app and WacomTouchDriver.app should have checkmarks. If a component is not listed, it means it hasn’t requested control yet.
  • To add the WacomTabletDriver.app and WacomTouchDriver.app:
    • Type: Applications/Wacom Tablet/.Tablet then press GO. You may need to force Finder to show hidden files by pressing CMD + Shift + ”.”
    • Drag and drop the WacomTabletDriver.app and WacomTouchDriver.app to the list under Automation in the Security & Privacy section. Ensure the new item is checked.
  • To add the Wacom Desktop Center to Automation, follow the steps below.
    • Launch the Wacom Desktop Center
    • Select your device and go to any of the settings (such as pen settings)
    • A dialog will open, make sure to allow the app.

Note when Upgrading OS: When upgrading 10.14 to a new service pack, i.e. 10.14.3 to 10.14.4 you may need to the force the system to accept the security settings again.

• Go to the Privacy tab again, select Accessibility then click on the lock at the bottom of the preferences to make changes.
  • Uncheck the Wacom Touch Driver, then log out of the user.
  • Login into the user again, open Accessibility and check the add the driver settings again.

Note: Mac OS only allows the security settings to be changed within the first 30 minutes of installing the application. If the issue continues, please over install the driver with the current driver (even if you already have the current driver installed). Once installed, go to Apple Menu>System Preferences> Security and Privacy. If needed a prompt to allow the missing permissions should be shown. Click the lock icon at the lower left to allow changes to the settings, then select the allow button.

Is there a compatible driver for Mac OS 10.14 Mojave? – Wacom

Apr 3, 2022 9:22 AM in response to tytoalbaow

UPDATE #2

An auto response from Wacom offered a few possible support articles. One of those was on target for my issue; it gave an expanded version of the error message/instructions I had seen when trying to launch the installer. One of the extra details was to disconnect the tablet, which I had not done previously.

The next 2 or 3 restarts (and a shut down) returned me to the same place, but eventually, error message loop finally abated and I was able to install the driver.

At first, the system prefs told me that no device was connected, although it was. Puzzled, I unplugged the tablet from the USB port, then re-plugged. Then the message in prefs reported that my tablet is no longer supported, but suggested contacting Wacom for an older driver which is compatible with the device and Mojave. That would be preferred at this point (it's been a very expensive week). Anyone got a tablet for sale?

Apr 3, 2022 11:00 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you, BDAqua, for this thorough reply, I greatly appreciate the level of detail you provided.

I have scanned your message, will study it more later today.

For now, my hope is to find a driver that was previous to the "current" driver, but newer than the one I just replaced. I'll check the driver page you linked, really appreciate that, it maybe be the fastest solution for now. I'm open to buying a new tablet if necessary but will prefer to delay that step due to cost.

I had seen the original version number I replaced, vaguely think it was 6.3.1xx, so there's a possibility an intermediate exists. The version replaced was quite old, had been fine on High Sierra and I think El Capitan.

I'll study your reply fully later today; grateful for your detailed answer.

--Tyto

Apr 3, 2022 3:56 PM in response to BDAqua

BDaqua: your original post had the key information for finding the proper driver. There was a page on the Wacom site to specify the device model number in order to know what drivers worked on that tablet. That led me to 6.3.41. I also learned elsewhere that the current Wacom tablets are compatible back to OS 10.12, so they would work on my prehistoric machine. .I might scoop up one of those tablets soon, B&H Photo has a good discount now.

Again, thank you very much for your very helpful reply. I'm ready to start work on processing those photo files so I can deliver them on time. You saved my b__!

--Tyto

Problem installing Wacom driver after update to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.