You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passcode

I’m setting up my new iPhone 13. I’m being asked for the passcode for my old iPhone XS, I’m entering the passcode but I’m being told that it is incorrect. It is not incorrect.

iPhone 13

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 1:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 2:04 PM

If you don't remember the correct passcode for your iPhone XS, the only way to regain access to it would be to restore it. That, unfortunately, will completely erase it rendering it a bit useless for migrating any data.

However, Apple provides you with three methods to set up your new iPhone. See if any of the following support articles for the details:

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2022 2:04 PM in response to eeebailey

If you don't remember the correct passcode for your iPhone XS, the only way to regain access to it would be to restore it. That, unfortunately, will completely erase it rendering it a bit useless for migrating any data.

However, Apple provides you with three methods to set up your new iPhone. See if any of the following support articles for the details:

Mar 26, 2022 2:14 PM in response to eeebailey

If you are asked for an old Passcode during setup this is for data that is encrypted end to end in iCloud

Some more info here

iCloud security overview - Apple Support

The important thing to note for you is. the Passcode might be an old passcode used when keychain was turned on even on an older device. And that you can continue even if you dont have this passcode, you wont lose all the data you have in iCloud, only the data that is end to end encrypted, you can see what that data is in the above article.

You will not lose iCloud photos for example.

Good luck!

Mar 26, 2022 2:10 PM in response to Tesserax

That’s what doesn’t make sense. I do remember the passcode. The passcode I’m using is definitely correct. All my info has been transferred to my new phone. The new phone is asking for the passcode for my old phone to update my Apple ID settings on my new phone. It doesn’t make sense since I’m using the correct passcode.

Passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.