You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot do a software update on my ipad as the back up wont finish

I upgraded to the latest iPad Pro and have tried to re-store it twice from my latest back up. Since then I have re-started or erased and started the process all over again. Now I cannot install the latest iOS update as I keep getting the message that the iPad is still updating. It has been like that for weeks. Always connected to wifi and plenty of iCloud storage. I cannot stop the back up either, it won’t let me. What can I do?i cannot do a software update on my ipad as the back up wont finsihi cannot do a software update on my ipad as the back up wont finsih

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 12:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 12:20 PM

As you can see from the warning under “Restore in Progress” on the left of your screenshot, the issue is you don’t have enough free space on your iPad. (“Plenty of iCloud storage” is completely irrelevant.)

See especially “If there’s not enough space to update” here.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't update - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 20, 2022 12:20 PM in response to GabAR1980

As you can see from the warning under “Restore in Progress” on the left of your screenshot, the issue is you don’t have enough free space on your iPad. (“Plenty of iCloud storage” is completely irrelevant.)

See especially “If there’s not enough space to update” here.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't update - Apple Support

I cannot do a software update on my ipad as the back up wont finish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.