You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disable auto routing calls to external bluetooth speaker?

Here is a design problem I've been facing for years now. I use a BlueTooth speaker for playing music. However I never ever want to listen to incoming/outgoing calls over that speaker. It's music. And that's it.

However when connected with an external BlueTooth speaker, the iphone *always* connects to it first, when a call comes in or when I try to make a call.

So many times I'm just talking and hearing nothing, only to faintly hear someone speaking in the distance... because the call was auto routed to the speaker and that speaker is in a completely different room!

And here comes the fun part. Even after you discovered this error on time and when you explicitly tell the iphone to route the conversation to your phone, not the speaker, try walking out of the speaker's BlueTooth range and then back into it. And voila, iphone detects speaker and again your call is routed to it. While in the midst of a conversation, the other person suddenly is audible in the other room again.

What is the design reasoning behind this? It's maddening to be honest, especially when you are in a sensitive phone call and want no one to listen into the call.

I've looked in the settings everywhere and there seems to be no option at all to always route incoming and outgoing calls to your phone. If I want it to be connecting to an external speaker, I will explicitly tell it to. Not the other way around.

If anyone knows a solution, please let me know!

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 4:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 6:57 AM

Hello mar_tijn,

You'd want to check the settings of your iPhone.

"Route and automatically answer calls on iPhone

You can automatically direct the audio of phone or FaceTime calls to the iPhone speaker, a Bluetooth headset, or your hearing devices. iPhone can also automatically answer calls after a specific duration.

1. Go to Settings  > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing, then choose an audio destination.
  2. Tap Auto-Answer Calls, turn on Auto-Answer Calls, then set the duration of time before the call is answered by tapping the Decrement button or the Increment button."

This information is found in Route and automatically answer calls on iPhone. By confirming this setting, you can make sure that it will go the right spot. We'd suggest "Automatic". If you do answer the call on your iPhone, it should stay with that device, then you can decide whether you'd like to move it to your speaker from the Audio button displaying on the Phone app.

Kind regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 16, 2022 6:57 AM in response to mar_tijn

Hello mar_tijn,

You'd want to check the settings of your iPhone.

"Route and automatically answer calls on iPhone

You can automatically direct the audio of phone or FaceTime calls to the iPhone speaker, a Bluetooth headset, or your hearing devices. iPhone can also automatically answer calls after a specific duration.

1. Go to Settings  > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing, then choose an audio destination.
  2. Tap Auto-Answer Calls, turn on Auto-Answer Calls, then set the duration of time before the call is answered by tapping the Decrement button or the Increment button."

This information is found in Route and automatically answer calls on iPhone. By confirming this setting, you can make sure that it will go the right spot. We'd suggest "Automatic". If you do answer the call on your iPhone, it should stay with that device, then you can decide whether you'd like to move it to your speaker from the Audio button displaying on the Phone app.

Kind regards.

How can I disable auto routing calls to external bluetooth speaker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.