You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup new MacBook Pro

Transfer information to this Mac is stuck. I don’t have another MacBook. Tell me how I can get out of it. MacBook is new to me. Thanks

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 12:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2022 12:37 PM

You can if it doesn't move for 24 hours, power down. You may find though that the transfer is incomplete and you have to wipe and reinstall the destination the operating system to ensure all components such as preferences, libraries and bookmarks are moved over.

Keep in mind your destination should have more capacity that your original. If it doesn't you can get external storage for cheap, and install the operating system there, and use its migration assistant to bring data onto the external storage.

Migrations may fail because applications or drivers are significantly different from the source to the destination:

I.e. Catalina and later Mac OSes only support 64 bit applications and drivers. M1 Macs may not support all plugins found on Intel Macs and Boot Camp isn't supported at all.

Storage on both sides should be less than 85% full after the migration is complete.

I.e. say you have 1 TB on the original and more than 850 GB to transfer, you need a minimum of 2 TB on the destination.

Drives are in 128 GB, 256 GB, 480 GB, 512 GB, 768 GB 1 TB, 2 TB etc where 1 TB = 1024 GB.

Filevault frequently poses difficulty for migration. Make sure both sides do not have Filevault turned on.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2022 12:37 PM in response to DeeErn

You can if it doesn't move for 24 hours, power down. You may find though that the transfer is incomplete and you have to wipe and reinstall the destination the operating system to ensure all components such as preferences, libraries and bookmarks are moved over.

Keep in mind your destination should have more capacity that your original. If it doesn't you can get external storage for cheap, and install the operating system there, and use its migration assistant to bring data onto the external storage.

Migrations may fail because applications or drivers are significantly different from the source to the destination:

I.e. Catalina and later Mac OSes only support 64 bit applications and drivers. M1 Macs may not support all plugins found on Intel Macs and Boot Camp isn't supported at all.

Storage on both sides should be less than 85% full after the migration is complete.

I.e. say you have 1 TB on the original and more than 850 GB to transfer, you need a minimum of 2 TB on the destination.

Drives are in 128 GB, 256 GB, 480 GB, 512 GB, 768 GB 1 TB, 2 TB etc where 1 TB = 1024 GB.

Filevault frequently poses difficulty for migration. Make sure both sides do not have Filevault turned on.

Setup new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.