You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch counts steps when I’m crocheting. How can I fix this?

Hi there,

I’ve been stunned to see that I’m rocking my step count without even trying. And oddly, it’s from 8-10 pm when I’m watching tv and crocheting.

is it actually the case that I have to remember to turn off tracking every night and turn it back on before bed? Surely we can reduce the sensitivity or tell it to not count steps when I’m not physically moving?

thank you!

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 5:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 8:25 PM

Ugh what a ridiculous design. It doesn’t automatically recognize or retroactively log activity if I’m not walking outside, yet if I’m completely still but for my wrist, it counts steps?

4 replies

Mar 10, 2022 10:01 AM in response to bryn197

No because the watch's accelerometer is designed to record all wrist movement,and by waving your watch arm a lot it's also a way of cheating to get your stand hours.

My Apple Watch counts steps when I’m crocheting. How can I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.