You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update ipod touch 7 without itunes update?

Hello: can I update the ipod touch gen 7 to ios 15.3 without having to update my itunes on windows? The version 12.11 itunes seems superior on reviews (on itunes for win MS app store) than the 12.12.2. In fact most of the reviews say "don't install, update is lousy!" Tx.

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 1:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 9:55 AM

I believe that iOS 15 requires iTunes 12.12.0.6 as a minimum, so I think that answers your question. In addition, 12.12.0.6 has some sort of security update in it, so wisdom suggests that you should update to that version and preferably the latest version.

The most recent version (on the day of writing this) is iTunes 12.12.2.2

Here's a couple of things to think about:

• I've been using iTunes 12.12.2.2 since it became available (29th October 2021) without any new issues. Any problems I'm having with this version were there in 12.11 too, so although the niggles I've got have not been addressed, I am not personally aware of any new ones
  • perhaps you should ask yourself (or those who tell you not to update) precisely why you shouldn't update. Do people who "advise" you not to update have a vested interest? Think about it, if a new release of a software programme has security updates in it designed to prevent malicious attacks on your information, it may be in the best interest of those who want to get at your information to advise you not to update iTunes. As I previously mentioned, the first release of iTunes 12.12 has a security update in it, so your version of iTunes does not fully protect you
  • the last version of iTunes 12.11 (12.11.4.15) was released on 9th August and superseded by iTunes 12.12.0.6 just over a month later on 20th September - and it contained a security update! That should tell you something

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 8, 2022 9:55 AM in response to Paul Larkin

I believe that iOS 15 requires iTunes 12.12.0.6 as a minimum, so I think that answers your question. In addition, 12.12.0.6 has some sort of security update in it, so wisdom suggests that you should update to that version and preferably the latest version.

The most recent version (on the day of writing this) is iTunes 12.12.2.2

Here's a couple of things to think about:

• I've been using iTunes 12.12.2.2 since it became available (29th October 2021) without any new issues. Any problems I'm having with this version were there in 12.11 too, so although the niggles I've got have not been addressed, I am not personally aware of any new ones
  • perhaps you should ask yourself (or those who tell you not to update) precisely why you shouldn't update. Do people who "advise" you not to update have a vested interest? Think about it, if a new release of a software programme has security updates in it designed to prevent malicious attacks on your information, it may be in the best interest of those who want to get at your information to advise you not to update iTunes. As I previously mentioned, the first release of iTunes 12.12 has a security update in it, so your version of iTunes does not fully protect you
  • the last version of iTunes 12.11 (12.11.4.15) was released on 9th August and superseded by iTunes 12.12.0.6 just over a month later on 20th September - and it contained a security update! That should tell you something

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.