You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I do not have access to Sierra as my hard disk has been wiped. How can I get my former Lion or later OS re-installed?

The hard disk of my old MacBook Pro has been wiped clean. I want to restore the MacOS to it. The Restore routine (Command + R on boot) says that it will restore Lion. But then it stops and says that Lion is not available. How can I get my OS restored onto this old device?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 9:04 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 6, 2022 6:28 PM in response to tdfisher

You may need to change the date on the laptop to 2017 or perhaps even earlier. While booted into Recovery Mode launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and issue the following command to set the date & time to Jan. 02, 2017 @ 11:22am.

date  -u  0102112217

If the command produces no errors, then quit the Terminal app and select "Reinstall macOS".

I do not have access to Sierra as my hard disk has been wiped. How can I get my former Lion or later OS re-installed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.