You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages sync to iCloud- not freeing up local space on iPhone

Hello-

I have a 128GB iPhone 12 running the latest iOS. I also have a 2TB iCloud plan that is maybe 30% utilized, plenty of space.

My iPhone is constantly running at it's Storage limit- and the main culprit is Messages at over 70GB, despite having it sync with iCloud.

From what I understand, when syncing with iCloud, it should be offloading some of the older message content to free up space on my phone, however this doesn't seem to be happening.

I have selected it to sync with iCloud (this was about a month ago)- any my phone is on the charger and successfully completes an iCloud backup every night.

I've tried toggling iCloud syncing for messages on and off with phone restarts in between, but can't seem to get it to budge. Any ideas? It seems that the messages are likely synced up, but my phone isn't interested in making more space.

I'm not interested in deleting old messages as I understand that will remove them everywhere, which seems unnecessary given how much iCloud space I pay for and have available.

It's been suggested that I turn off iCloud syncing for messages, then delete some older messages and then turn syncing back on, but I'm nervous that it will remove them permanently everywhere.

Thoughts? Ideas? Happy to provide any other info. Thanks!

iPhone 12

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 1:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 7:01 PM

Syncing with iCloud just ensures that your messages are in sync across all of your devices. Messages remain on your phone. To free space, you'll want to delete messages, photos, videos, etc. or purchase a device with more internal storage.

1 reply

Messages sync to iCloud- not freeing up local space on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.