You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Tab Bar in Safari?

Safari is not showing the Tab Bar when I select the option "Separate Tab Bar". The Tabs are only shown when selecting "Compact Tab Bar". Underneath the search bar I see bookmark line and below that i see the current web site however without the tab bar. Like in the mockup image attached.

How can I restore the tab bar visibility in "Separate Tab Bar" mode?

This is on an iPad air 3 with the lates Ipad OS(15.3.1) and have tried rebooting the Ipad and made sure to upgrade to the latest FW. Switching between compact and separate tab mode does restore the tab bar.

A reddit thread discusses the same problem for other users.

(9) No tab bar in Safari? : iPadOS (reddit.com)

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 7:24 AM

3 replies

Feb 14, 2022 8:45 AM in response to maarten108

Hello maarten108,

From your post it appears that you are not seeing tabs when setting the Safari layout to Separate Tab Bar on your iPad.

Nice job already trying to restart your device and keeping iPadOS fully updated. Based on what we see in Customize your Safari settings on iPad, "You can move between layouts as much as you want without losing the tabs you have open." However, you're saying that you do have tabs opened, but when you switch to Separate Tab Bar, you lose those opened tabs. What happens when you tap the + to open a new tab? Does it then display both tabs, or does opening a new tab even force the already opened tab to close or disappear too?

Did you also try force closing the Safari application after you select Separate Tab Bar as your layout? If not, give that a go to see if it helps any: Quit and reopen an app on iPad

Otherwise, we will suggest that you contact Apple Support directly to report this behavior for further investigation. Use this link next: Get Support

Have a good day.

Feb 14, 2022 10:02 AM in response to srbwanderer

Hi, the + to open a new tab will open the additional tab but the tab bar remains invisible. Forcing the closure of safari application also does not bring back the tab bar, and closing safari after enabling the separate task bar will nit show the task bar.

The opened tabs will remain open and I can switch between them without any problems (by selecting the 4 squares)

it is only the tab bar that is invisible

No Tab Bar in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.