You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error while attempting to merge accounts

After using the Windows migration tool to transfer data from my old PC to my "new" refurbished MacBook Air, I ended up with two accounts on the same Mac. I simply followed the on-screen instructions, but there you are. (Online searches tell me this happens a fair bit.) Anyway, I'm trying to merge the two accounts, but when I go to System Preferences>Users&Groups and select the account I want to delete and merge, I always get the same error message after selecting "Save the home folder in a disk image": "Unable to delete the user account [NAME]. An error occurred while backing up this user's home folder." I've done the usual thing, restarting etc. Am I stuck with two accounts? It's hardly tragic, but a PITA. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 4:12 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 10, 2022 2:37 PM in response to SdnBJohnD

SdnBJohnD,

Thanks for that info. Do you know if both accounts on the Mac are Administrator accounts?

For the account that doesn't have your information in it, you don't have to save the Home folder so if you have the option to not back it up you can choose that. Let's also follow How to use safe mode on your Mac, and see if booting into Safe Mode changes that behavior at all.

Let us know how that goes.

Feb 10, 2022 1:23 PM in response to karina184

Thanks for getting back to me. To answer your questions:

1. I'm running Monterey 12.2.
  2. The accounts are split, with the one associated with the old Dell standalone having nearly all the files. The other is the new account created when I got the MacBook.
  3. I used the migration tool after setting up the refurbished Macbook. This is my first Mac, so perhaps I didn't know the drill (I have both an iPhone and an iPad). I followed instructions from Apple's website and used the migration tool as directed.

My plan was to delete the _new_ account, as my device told me there wasn't enough space to save an image of the old one (which was strange as it said I needed 99.9 GB but I have more than double that available on the MacBook).

So, puzzled.

Thanks again.

Feb 10, 2022 12:07 PM in response to SdnBJohnD

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, SdnBJohnD.

We see that you're having some trouble with the user accounts on your Mac. We've got some questions to better understand what's going on.

•Which macOS version are you running? This can be found at  > About This Mac.

•Do the user accounts have the same data, is it split between the two, or is it only one?

•Did you migrate during the set up process or after?

We look forward to your reply.

Feb 10, 2022 7:57 PM in response to SdnBJohnD

the problem is that you set up an account on the device and then used Migration Assistant which transferred the original account so now you have two. You cannot easily merge them. the easiest way would be to start over: go to: recovery, erase

all, download the OS, and then, during initial setup, use setup assistant when offered and you should wind up with one account.

Error while attempting to merge accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.