You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I back up two different macs to the same disk using time machine?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 7:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 10:16 AM

I don't know if you can, but I would not. It would only create confusion if you needed to do a restore. Instead, I recommend formatting external the disk into two separate partitions. Name them something like Backup 1 and Backup 2. Then direct each Time Machine to its own partition. Be sure that you get a large enough backup disk. Each partition should be two or three times as large as the HD it is backing up.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 9, 2022 10:16 AM in response to COkline

I don't know if you can, but I would not. It would only create confusion if you needed to do a restore. Instead, I recommend formatting external the disk into two separate partitions. Name them something like Backup 1 and Backup 2. Then direct each Time Machine to its own partition. Be sure that you get a large enough backup disk. Each partition should be two or three times as large as the HD it is backing up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.