You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing a different OS on a current dual-boot iMac

I currently have an older iMac (2011) that can dual-boot either Lion or El Capitan.

I now want to delete Lion and install the High Sierra OS in its place (but leave El Capitan alone, so that I can still boot-up in it if I need to).

When I start the upgrade, will it ask me which volume to install High Sierra to? And if I install it to a different volume (other than the one running El Capitan) will it leave El Capitan alone, allowing me to then have a dual boot iMac that can run either El Capitan or High Sierra?

I just don't want the upgrade to erase El Capitan, and I forget how these things work. I'm hoping it's as easy as this:

• Wiping the volume that Lion is currently on
  • Having the updater ask me on which volume to put High Sierra
  • Select the volume that Lion used to be on
  • Ending up with High Sierra one on volume and El Capitan left untouched on its current volume

Is it as easy as that? Am I missing anything?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 10:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 10:29 AM

1. Yes, it works that way.

2. Back up your data before proceeding.

(213614)

Similar questions

2 replies

Installing a different OS on a current dual-boot iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.