You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD card (read only) on OS Monterey

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Pro 13inch, early 2015, Intel chip. Due to small SSD 256 GB, I have been for years using Micro SD card with additional 256 GB in Micro SD adapter. The adapter has nice alluminium finish, so the SD card is literally "invisible". It has been working many years like a charm.

My problems started after OS 12 Monterey. SD card started disconnecting itself. I finished the work evening and started in the morning with the card unmounted. On a random basis, I did not find any particular relation to anything. After restarting the laptop, usually started working again for some time.

After upgrading to 12.2. I observed another issue. SD card was showed as mounted in, but my synced Dropbox locations and Google SD drive locations reported it is read only. I opened the disk utility and the card was read only also there. I tested another standard SD card, same behavior in the disk utility, regardless the lock was on or off. I restarted the system and voila, It was back working.

Now to end up the story, I read some user reports about SD card reading difficulties on the new Macbook Pro 2021 series with the M1 Pro chip. So now I am wondering if Apple, by fixing the problems on M1 Macbooks with the new Monterey upgrades, is not on the other hand destroying functionality and system stability of the old Intel Macbook models.

Anyone else experiencing similar issue? I have been enjoying OS X stability for many years as an oposite to my previous Windows experiences. Now, it seems I need to restart the Mac OS system more and more frequently to get things working. (like I was used in Windows).

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 8:16 AM

Pitrsan wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Pro 13inch, early 2015, Intel chip. Due to small SSD 256 GB, I have been for years using Micro SD card with additional 256 GB in Micro SD adapter. The adapter has nice alluminium finish, so the SD card is literally "invisible". It has been working many years like a charm.

My problems started after OS 12 Monterey. SD card started disconnecting itself. I finished the work evening and started in the morning with the card unmounted.

I tested another standard SD card, same behavior in the disk utility, regardless the lock was on or off. I restarted the system and voila, It was back working.

You can try a different card and compare your results

About the SD and SDXC card slot on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2022 8:16 AM in response to Pitrsan

Pitrsan wrote:

Hi all,

My problems started after OS 12 Monterey. SD card started disconnecting itself. I finished the work evening and started in the morning with the card unmounted.

I tested another standard SD card, same behavior in the disk utility, regardless the lock was on or off. I restarted the system and voila, It was back working.

You can try a different card and compare your results

About the SD and SDXC card slot on your Mac - Apple Support

SD card (read only) on OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.