You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Passcode Required-

I am trying to turn my phone back on, it says I need to "Your passcode is required when iphone restarts."

But I am not trying to "restart," my phone. Please help.

Thank you,

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 1:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 1:14 PM

_Alma1986 wrote:

I am trying to turn my phone back on, it says I need to "Your passcode is required when iphone restarts."

Thank you,

If you are powering on your iPhone, the passcode is required (i.e., Touch ID or Face ID cannot be used after a restart or if the phone is being turned on after being turned off for any length of time).

If you have forgotten the passcode:

If your iPhone or iPad has iOS 15.2 or later installed, see: How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode - Apple Support

If that option is not available, you will need to use a computer. See: If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2022 1:14 PM in response to _Alma1986

_Alma1986 wrote:

Thank you,

If you are powering on your iPhone, the passcode is required (i.e., Touch ID or Face ID cannot be used after a restart or if the phone is being turned on after being turned off for any length of time).

If you have forgotten the passcode:

If your iPhone or iPad has iOS 15.2 or later installed, see: How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode - Apple Support

If that option is not available, you will need to use a computer. See: If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

Jan 30, 2022 4:30 PM in response to _Alma1986

That sounds like it was corrupted. There might be others who can figure out how to recover from that, but in general the thing to do is just go into recovery mode and just restore it to factory settings from a PC or Mac. Then maybe restore from a backup if you've got it. It usually won't mount on a computer when iOS is corrupted unless it's placed in recovery mode. Then the restore to factory condition will rebuild iOS on the iPhone from scratch via the computer.

This shows how to get into recovery mode.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jan 30, 2022 4:22 PM in response to BigJackBuddy

Hi, I've been following this page....https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252. It's guiding me to do a "factory reset," at this point. Unfortunately, my device does not appear on my computer, when I connect it to my mac, and it's unresponsive or it won't turn on.

At this point, I believe it is a "software update issue," and it does not know what to do with itself. I do not have anymore storage available, which is part of the problem. But if I cannot access my phone to actually "delete," files, pics etc,. to create space, then we have an issue, that forces me to take it in to an Apple Store. SO, that is exactly what I am doing, after trying all these different ways, tips, guidance, and no luck. It's been like this for days.

Jan 30, 2022 4:52 PM in response to y_p_w

Yes, I tried putting it into recovery mode and just to restore it to factory settings from my Mac, but it did not "mount on a computer," as you mentioned. SO, it probably is corrupted! Good thing everything is backed up!

How do I restore any apps, I had previously? I may not remember all the apps I downloaded. Lol.

Jan 30, 2022 5:01 PM in response to BigJackBuddy

Yes, I can enter my passcode, but when I do that, it'll "restart itself," all over again. And it takes 20 minutes for it to show up to it's original state. Home page status. But when I try to "unlock it again," it'll restart itself all over again. It's like an ongoing issue, that doesn't seem to want to resolve itself. I am not able to screenshot the issue sorry.

Jan 30, 2022 5:07 PM in response to _Alma1986

_Alma1986 wrote:
Yes, I tried putting it into recovery mode and just to restore it to factory settings from my Mac, but it did not "mount on a computer," as you mentioned. SO, it probably is corrupted! Good thing everything is backed up!

How do I restore any apps, I had previously? I may not remember all the apps I downloaded. Lol.

Recovery mode just preps it to start over from scratch via a computer.

Every iOS backup will note whatever apps were on the device at the time of the backup. Once it's done loading all the data from the backup, it will start downloading apps through the App Store via Wi-Fi only (except maybe newer iPhones that can load via 5G). Apps have been stored directly in the backup for a while. There could be some issues if you've got some apps that have been removed from the App Store for whatever reason. There are some apps that are no longer available from the App Store, but where an existing installation will continue to work. Restoring from a backup can't get that kind of app back.

This is for the Mac version using Finder, but it's pretty similar with a PC using iTunes or an older version of MacOS that uses iTunes.

Passcode Required-

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.